10.15.2010

DIY Accessories From a T-Shirt

ok so once i saw this DIY on i didn't even finish reading the instructions before i was looking through andy's old t-shirts. it's so simple! i became a little bit obsessed [as the possibilities are endless] my personal favorite of the things i made was the headband because it doesn't hurt my head but holds my hair back..imagine that! but see the images below for what else i made...

[p.s. i varied the width of the strips i cut for the ring and the headband making them much skinnier]
bracelet,
necklace, [the original idea from ISLY]

and a ring.. it's official i'm obsessed!

23 comments:

1. love it, and will definitely try it out....how did you tie it at the ends though?

2. at the ends i just made a knot and pulled tightly which helped to not make it too bulky and noticeable! but because it's jersey it should stretch over your head! let me know how it goes! :-)

3. Ok..you are seriously too cute!! i'm sharing you and this post on my blog this week! i love the bracelet. i could actually wear that wihout my 2 babies destroying it. the necklace is cute but you know sophia, she would be wanting to wear it haha.

4. Hi Meg,
    Love this idea...did you cut the shirt on the diagonal? My strips seem to be flat where yours look like they are kind of curled.. Not sure how to expain myself?

Replies
    1. once you cut them, pull on the ends.

5. Hi! I found your blog via pinterest. I absolutely love using t-shirt yarn for different accessories. I've been playing with 4 and 5 string braids and different knots as well. Thank you for the ring idea! I'll definitely be doing that one :)

6. I also just found you via Pinterest and I can't wait to do this! :) I'm wondering how you "closed" the bracelet and attached the button?

7. Thanks for the photos! I just made one, and I love it! I'm going to make a t-shirt fabric flower to attach to it.

Cheri, if you pull the strips before braiding it they curl up and stretch a bit.

8. Hi! I also found your blog on Pinterest and tried this out tonight! I am terrible at sewing, so I figured out a way to do the headband without any stitches and posted it here: http://cupcakesandcardigans.com/2011/10/13/tshirtheadband/
    Hope that helps anyone who is thread & needle impaired like me.
    Love your blog!

9. I've been looking for something to do with my old race shirts and this might be perfect!

10. Great idea! I also used old colorful pillow cases but that doesn't give as much a tshirt material. Thanks

11. how did you tie the ring and bracelet?

12. I also saw this on Pinterest and knew I had to immediately try it. It was such a cute and easy idea that I shared it on my blog (www.thethreadaffect.com) as well. Thanks for sharing!

13. So cute! Love it all, but the ring and bracelet are great for adding just a little color to an outfit without spending anything! Love that!

14. This is so great looking. I had to try it. I made the head band and I love it.

15. love this!!!

www.sincerelycheyenne.blogspot.com

16. How do you braid with only 2 strings?

17. Okay first, the third sting to the braid must be in her hand :), second I believe that the braclet- the button is at the "top" of the braid and then just broadest around it(or you could tie the button on to it I would assume) and then it looks like she left a space at the end of the braid for the Button to go through(like a button loop) and then just tied it off at the end,

The ring- well I have no idea. Also the button he used looks like a pants button vs like a shirt button if that makes sence!

18. if you want people to pay attention/follow your blog you should answer their questions...*SWOG*

19. Hi, I also saw this on Pinterest and I love this! It's so cute and it's something I could do with all 3 of my girls!

20. Looks great! I like the headband best.

21. I made the headband, but I added a hair tie to the end for stretchiness :)

22. So glad I've stumbled upon this simple tutorial, I'm excited to try it on my own. Thank you! :)